Shiitake (Lentinus edodes) is native to Asia with a rich history of use in the kitchen and in herbalism. A fragrant and delicious edible mushroom, Shiitake is now the second most popular cultivated Mushroom in the world.
Known health benefits of Shiitake Mushroom:
- Immune Support: Beta Glucans & other compounds that act as immunomodulators that help regulate the immune system
- Cholesterol & Blood Pressure support: Eritadenine compound found in shiitake blocks angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE), that constricts blood vessels and helps reduce cholesterol & reduce blood pressure
- Supports Skin & Hair Health: Anti-inflammatory properties & selenium, help reduce acne, rosacea, and eczema. Selenium is actually a natural anti-acne treatment & great for healthy hair.. They are also high in vitamin D, which can help protect against environmental-related problems such as wrinkles or discoloration. In addition, they are high in zinc, which can help boost the immune system and improve the skin’s ability to heal. The dense presence of Kojic acid, the natural hydroquinone substitute, lightens the skin by fading away the age spots and scars. Thus, it delays aging and helps in keeping your skin young and radiant. Shiitake mushrooms are a good source of vitamin D, antioxidants, selenium, and copper, all of which are essential for healthy hair. They also contain a lot of iron, which combats anemia and can therefore prevent hair loss. The copper in mushrooms helps with the absorption of the iron, which can, in turn, assist with producing melanin, the chemical that gives our hair and skin their color.
- Fight Cancer cells: Shitake contains a glucan called AHCC (Active Hexose Correlated Compound) and is widely used in the alternative and complementary treatment of cancer in Japan due to its immune-enhancing functions. Lentinan, a compound found in Shitake, is used as an intravenous anti-cancer drug with antitumor properties. Clinical studies have associated lentinan with a higher survival rate, higher quality of life and lower recurrence of cancer.
- Anti Microbial : It has strong anti-microbial activity and the highest anti-candidal action among mushroom
- Super Adaptogens: Known to help the body adapt to or resist things that cause stress (psychological, physical, and environmental).
- Rich in Antioxidants: These mushrooms scavenge free radicals in the body, thereby slowing cellular oxidation and breakdown. This means less inflammation, less experience with chronic disease, and even healthier, more graceful aging.